BookShark is a complete, literature-based homeschool curriculum developed for students from pre-K through high school. The curriculum uses a variety of educational resources including literary fiction and nonfiction, biographies, illustrations, and hands-on experiments to deliver an engaging and complete education that extends beyond textbook memorization.
- Uses levels based on age ranges instead of a rigid grade system.
- Instructor’s guides make the curriculum easy for parents to plan and teach.
- Program is structured for a four-day school week, allowing students to pursue other activities.
- Parents may use parts of the curriculum or order the curriculum as a complete package.
- Some books in BookShark’s curriculum packages may be borrowed from libraries or purchased as ebooks, reducing the number of physical books needed for the program.
- Students who are reluctant readers may benefit from parents reading numerous books to them.
- As a literature-based curriculum, BookShark requires a parent (or other caretaker) to read multiple books to their child. For some families, this may not be desirable.
- Book packages must be mailed. This may be problematic in some locations.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
BookShark emphasizes world history and world cultures. While it is a U.S.-based curriculum, which includes study of U.S. history, BookShark provides balanced perspectives of various cultures. Many families enjoy the focus on literature and reading to their child. BookShark may be shipped almost anywhere in the world.