Brave Writer is an instructional writing program for all ages of students. It focuses on establishing writing voice and the writing process in children and teens first, followed by instruction in writing mechanics (grammar, spelling) later. Brave Writer has options for parents to guide their student independently with workbooks or for students to engage with an instructor online.
- Designed especially for homeschooling families.
- Great program for students who struggle with spelling or grammar. Allows them to develop writing skills without fear of writing mechanics.
- Strong emphasis on creative writing, which some families may prefer.
- All instructors have either been homeschooled themselves or have homeschooled their own children.
- All instructors must be published writers.
- Some families prefer a stronger emphasis on writing mechanics than what this program provides, and may want to supplement instruction in those areas.
- More expensive program than other options.
- Strong emphasis on creative writing rather than expository writing, which may be undesirable for some families.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Brave Writer offers a unique approach to writing instruction that gives students freedom to explore their voice without worrying about mechanics too soon. For some students, this may be the ideal program to grow as writers. Online instruction option are especially helpful for families living internationally.