Busuu is an instructional language app that helps users learn basic vocabulary and grammar. It provides 1,000 lessons created by expert linguists enhanced with technology like personalized study plans and speech recognition. Busuu has over 100 million users worldwide and features a social network to practise with native speakers of 12 different languages.
COST: Free access to some features. Premium and Premium Plus subscriptions (about monthly and yearly) to unlock more of the program.
- Easy to use, engaging, and relevant.
- Offers the largest social network for language learning.
- Some lessons available offline.
- Some languages feature Grammar Review, an artificial intelligence-powered grammar practice tool that predicts the topics the user needs to practice.
- Cultural tips provided to help users to speak appropriately.
- Some languages are better developed than others. Users have reported problems with the Chinese and Japanese programs in particular.
- Some users report that grammar instruction is weak.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Busuu offers features similar to other language-learning apps. Its stand-out feature is its social network, which allows users to interact with other language learners and native speakers. This is a good way to practice speaking and writing with real people before traveling to a new location.