COST: Free for basic lessons, and more intensive lessons available with a monthly subscription.
- Well-organized site that helps students choose where to begin their learning.
- Multiple programming languages to choose from.
- Discussion forum to help with specific coding questions.
- Reading level is too difficult for younger students. Site is intended for older students (13+) and adults.
- Some limitations as students become more experienced in a particular programming language. A subscription may be needed if the student wants to progress further.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
This is a good option for older students wanting to learn about computer science. Codecademy allows kids to “try out” different programming languages in a safe environment free of charge. It’s also accessible nearly everywhere in the world.