Dance Mat Typing is a free online game that teaches kids to touch-type using the home-row method. Students progress through 12 stages within four levels (three stages per level) that slowly build the number of keys they’re expected to master. Maintained by the BBC.
- Great for beginners. Video instruction explains finger placement and other basics.
- Simple program that kids can follow themselves from beginning to end.
- Focus on how to type correctly rather than on speed. Some students may prefer this emphasis.
- No need to login or sign up for anything.
- Little feedback, and parents cannot monitor progress.
- Probably not the best option for more advanced users.
- No practice offered to support faster typing.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Dance Mat Typing is a great typing site for younger learners, and is accessible online nearly everywhere around the world. It’s quick to begin using, without any sign-in or setup. This fun and silly program provides a good introduction to keyboarding for kids, no matter where they’re living.