Learn 30+ languages online with bite-size lessons based on science. Duolingo gamifies the language-learning experience. Earn points for correct answers, race against the clock, and level up.
COST: Free, but offers premium features with a monthly fee of about US$7.
- Good for learning the basics of a new language.
- A fun way to learn and reinforce vocabulary and phrases.
- Can be used in short increments throughout the day and on the go.
- Not a stand-alone language course to attain fluency, but helpful for supplementing other forms of language learning.
- Doesn’t teach grammar and other in-depth skills.
- Doesn’t provide an immersive experience in the language.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Duolingo is a fun, engaging way to begin learning a language before your family is on site. It’s helpful for all ages of language learners, and schools have successfully used this platform to supplement classroom learning for kids.