Elementari is a website for creating and publishing simple interactive and animated digital stories. Students can read, write, code, share, and remix interactive stories using professional illustrations and sounds. The story creator — which looks like a presentation or slideshow tool — fuses digital storytelling with elements of coding and computational thinking. The site comes with a large library of existing media to use in stories, but students can also upload their own illustrations and add their own audio for truly original content. Best for elementary aged students.
- Easy to use.
- Coding elements folded into storytelling process without being too technical.
- Students may choose to write without coding.
- Combines a variety of skills (reading, writing, art, coding).
- Many lesson plans for teacher/parent use.
- Community to share work or to remix others’ work.
- Work may be shared on social media or by email.
- Little control over story publication and privacy. Stories may be seen by any user.
- Older, more advanced students may find the program not challenging enough.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Elementari is a very engaging platform for younger students to share their stories. The interactive blend of storytelling, art, and coding makes writing enjoyable and is a good way to connect students with other young writers around the world. The site may also be used by teachers or home educators to supplement their curricula.