Learn a language with thousands of video clips of real native speakers, and fun and effective games to practice your skills. Memrise uses spaced repetition of flash cards to increase users’ rate of language learning. Users may also generate content on a wide range of subjects. The app offers official courses in 16 languages, and user-generated content features courses in many more languages.
COST: Can be used for free but offers premium features for a monthly fee.
- A good tool to learn and reinforce vocabulary and phrases in a new language.
- Can be used in short increments throughout the day and on the go.
- Numerous language courses to choose from, with more added all the time from Memrise users.
- Fun and engaging.
- Should be used with other language-learning resources, not in isolation.
- Doesn’t teach grammar and other in-depth skills.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Memrise is a great way to begin learning a language casually. Lessons can be done quickly and easily for language learners of all ages.