NorthStar Academy is an online private Christian school based in the United States that offers students in grades 4-12 a complete academic and diploma-granting, accredited program. By integrating faith and learning through sound curriculum on an online platform, they’re able to partner with students, families, and schools worldwide. More than 70 countries are represented in NorthStar’s student body, with 69% of NorthStar students being U.S. citizens and 31% being students maintaining citizenship abroad.
(From the NorthStar Academy website.)
- Offers a standard or advanced diploma. Students may also pursue the AP International Diploma.
- Provides nearly 200 core and elective courses, including 13 honors and 19 Advanced Placement courses.
- Nearly 80 percent of graduates have gone on to university.
- Interaction with other students via in-house social media.
- Instruction is asynchronous, which may be undesirable for some students.
- Communication with instructors has been delayed at times, according to some families who have enrolled in the program.
- Some families have reported technical problems and difficulty turning in assignments.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
NorthStar provides online education to students from all over the world — this is a great environment for some students living internationally to study and meet friends that they can relate to. The school also provides flexibility for students to complete lessons any time of day, which is great for families on the move.