With Outschool, users can explore any interest over live video chat on the Zoom app. Kids ages 3–18 can discover fun, social, and safe learning experiences led by passionate teachers. Outschool offers thousands of classes that meet once or several times over a few weeks. Course times are set for a variety of time zones. Users can chat with the course teacher and other learners within a forum or private messaging.
COST: Courses cost US$5 and up per session.
- Huge selection of course topics, from fun to academic.
- One-to-one interaction with teachers and small classes (maximum 18 students per class, but average is 3–8 students)
- Courses are easy to find online with a simple web search function at the Outschool website.
- Teachers are carefully vetted.
- Recorded class sessions ensure a safe online environment for children.
- Chat function allows students to interact with other learners from around the world.
- Courses are low-cost.
- Good internet connection required to use Zoom.
- Some users report that Outschool wouldn’t refund their course fees when technical problems made learning difficult online.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Outschool has been called the “Netflix” of learning with a huge number of course options for kids. The company has adapted course scheduling for many different time zones. It’s a great way for kids to pursue their interests or supplement schooling. They may also make friends from around the world.