Tinkercad is a free, easy-to-use app for 3D design, electronics, and coding. It’s used by teachers, kids, hobbyists, and designers to imagine, design, and make anything. The program is known for its kid-friendly, simplified approach to computer-aided design (CAD). Best for ages 8 and up.
- Easy to learn; multiple video tutorials available to help learn the program.
- Provides free lesson plans for teacher or parents.
- Options to design for LEGO or Minecraft applications.
- Great tool to teach geometrical concepts.
- Users can use coding blocks to design 3D objects.
- Example projects to inspire users to create their own.
- Users can showcase their projects on the website.
- Users may create projects using visual drag-and-drop codeblocks.
- Requires laptop or desktop computer.
- Users will need access to 3D printer to output their 3D designs.
- Must be used online, so internet access required.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Tinkercad provides an accessible way for anyone to learn 3D computer-aided design. Because it’s free and online, the program is a great tool for families living internationally. It’s also helpful for older homeschooling students to practice math, engineering, computer science, or art skills.