LingoDeer is an interactive language-learning app that covers Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Russian, English, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese. The app helps users to interact with these languages in a structured and contextualised way. Lessons and review exercises focus on reading, listening, and writing skills to gradually reveal key terms, linguistic structures, and rules.
COST: Some features are free. Membership to unlock the full program costs about US$12/month, $30/quarter, $56/year, or $99/lifetime.
- Good design and easy to use.
- Gamified learning activities make the program engaging and fun.
- Strong programs in Asian languages, including instruction in written characters and grammar.
- Emphasis on grammar and language structure explanation, which is usually weak in other language-learning programs.
- Some lessons can be downloaded offline.
- Users will need to improve their speaking skills by supplementing with other resources.
- Users have reported that some lessons include vocabulary that’s isn’t practical.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
LingoDeer provides a more grammar-intensive approach to language learning than other similar programs. For some families living internationally, this may be a more effective way to learn a new language. The program is also especially strong in Asian languages, and instruction includes reading and writing. This may also be a language-learning curriculum option for homeschooling families.