Vooks is a streaming library of read-along, animated storybooks for young children. Each story is read aloud and animated, allowing kids to read along as they watch. The text in Vooks stories is highlighted which allows students to track the print as it is being read aloud. Kids can choose their favorite books and save for off-line use.
COST: Subscription about US$5/month or US$50/year.
- Kid-friendly and easy to navigate.
- No advertising.
- Books are curated especially for a young audience.
- Great for prereaders, although there are books for older kids too.
- The Vooks website also offers free lesson plans for a variety of books, which include themes, summaries, talking points, discussion ideas, activity ideas, and vocabulary cards.
- Library of books is relatively small, although books are constantly being added.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Vooks is a great tool for kids in the process of learning to read. It introduces them to a wide variety of books and can be used to teach reading comprehension skills. Vooks may also be helpful for kids learning English since they can both see and hear the stories.