XtraMath features math practice and drills to help students develop fluency in math facts. The program trains students to provide correct answers to math problems in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division quickly. Emphasis is placed on accuracy first and then speed. Fluency helps students to be successful as they progress to higher-level math courses.
COST: Website is free, mobile app costs about US$5.
- Simple, easy-to-use program.
- Students receive immediate feedback for correct and incorrect answers.
- Parents can track their child’s progress within a parent account or by reviewing the weekly email sent by XtraMath.
- Speed challenges may cause anxiety for some children. Some settings can be adjusted for more flexibility.
- Program isn’t as interesting and engaging as other math programs for children.
- Some children struggle with typing mechanics, which will affect their speed in this program.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
XtraMath helps to reinforce math fact memorization and recall. It may be a good supplement for some students who enjoy competition and need to strengthen their math skills. Families on the move can access this program on a laptop or mobile device.