Beast Academy is a challenging math program for kids ages 8‑13. The curriculum teaches problem solving and logical thinking by covering grade-level standards in greater depth than other elementary math curricula. Although Beast Academy was created with accelerated learners in mind, the program is flexible. Students with a wide range of abilities have had success with it. The program is available in a series of workbooks or in an interactive learning experience in Beast Academy Online. The workbooks and online program follow the same sequence of learning.
- Engaging, artistic program for learners who tend to be bored with traditional math curriculum. Books are written in a comic-book format.
- One of the more challenging math programs available.
- Complete curriculum, but can also be used as a supplement to other curriculum.
- Tends to build patience and perseverance in students.
- Some students will be overwhelmed by the focus required to work through in-depth math problems.
- Many students will need parent support to complete coursework.
- Daily math coursework will take longer to complete than typical math curriculum.
- Probably not a good option for kids who struggle with math.
- Workbooks would need to be mailed.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Beast Academy is a creative and challenging option for kids that would enjoy exploring math concepts more deeply. While this program works especially well for homeschooling families, it would also be helpful to students who want to supplement their math studies. Families living internationally may especially benefit from the online program (which mirrors the textbooks) if they would rather not order books by mail.