The Singapore math method is a highly effective teaching approach originally developed by Singapore’s Ministry of Education for Singapore public schools. The method has been widely adopted in various forms around the world over the past 20 years following our introduction of the curriculum to the U.S. in 1998. (From the Singapore Math website.)
- Teacher’s guide is packed full of supplemental activities to help kids learn concepts from more than one perspective.
- More advanced students can use a supplemental book, Singapore Math — Challenge.
- Pacing is great, with enough repetition to help kids get the idea.
- Students may feel overwhelmed with too many activities. Students need to pick and choose — don’t do them all!
- Only the kindergarten level is in color, and the complete series isn’t available yet.
- In older grades, some problems aren’t clearly explained, and struggling students may not be as successful with this curriculum.
- Books must be mailed.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Singapore Math is a globally known curriculum that numerous schools have implemented in their programs of study. If students intend to transition to traditional schooling, it can provide a transferable foundation of math education.