Drops helps users learn new vocabulary through fun, fast-paced games with simple mnemonic images. Choose from one of more than 35 languages and practice 5 minutes per day to learn a new language. The Droplets app provides the same kind of language instruction as Drops, but designed for children ages 7–16.
COST: Some features are free. Subscription needed to unlock the full program, about US$8.50/month, $60/year, $150/lifetime.
- Fun, visual interface.
- Simple learning concept based on illustrations and engaging games.
- Mixture of simple and more advanced vocabulary for different levels of learning.
- Emphasis on nouns and little instruction in verbs and grammar.
- Little instruction on speaking and pronunciation.
- Free version can be used only 5 minutes each day.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
For visual learners, Drops is a helpful tool to learn a new language. It’s a more casual language-learning program than others, but may be ideal for those seeking small, fun doses of practice. This app should be supplemented with other instructional methods for those who seek a more intensive program.