The Math-U-See system is structured with step-by-step procedures for introducing, reviewing, practicing, and mastering concepts. Each lesson teaches using multi-sensory tools such as videos, manipulatives, and other resources, designed to appeal to any type of learner. With these resources, we are able to adapt to a variety of homeschool styles. (From the Math-U-See website.)
- Easy to use and understand.
- Students can progress at their own pace. Curriculum is not linked to grade levels.
- A mobile app supplements use of manipulatives, if desired.
- Materials must be mailed, and this may be problematic in some locations.
- Scope and sequence doesn’t always correlate to traditional school learning. For families that plan to transition between home education and traditional schooling, this may be a challenge.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Math-U-See is a flexible curriculum that has worked well for families on the move. Although shipping books and manipulatives may be difficult and costly in some locations, it can be worth it for students who learn best with visuals. This curriculum is especially effective for students who struggle with math concepts.