Using personalized learning and adaptive assessments, ALEKS quickly and accurately determines exactly what a student is most ready to learn. (ALEKS stands for Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces.) At the heart of ALEKS is an artificial intelligence engine that assesses each student individually and continuously. This unique approach to learning dramatically improves student performance and confidence. Courses are available for students in grades K–12 and also for university level.
COST: Varies, with a monthly or yearly subscription.
- Easy to navigate.
- Program allows students to learn at their own pace, either slowly or more quickly.
- Curriculum is tailored to each student’s needs.
- Helps students grow a deep understanding about math concepts.
- Parents can review data about their child’s progress in the program.
- Some parents report that ALEKS isn’t so effective in instructing complex math concepts.
- Students who struggle in math can get “stuck” in this program. When a student answers a few problems incorrectly, ALEKS doesn’t allow them to progress until they answer multiple answers correctly. Some students may need instruction from a supplementary source to move on in the program.
- May overwhelm students who struggle with math.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
This program is a good tool for families living internationally due to its accessibility online and portability. It may especially benefit students who are motivated to learn or gifted in math. For families who wish to use it as a full homeschooling math curriculum, ALEKS may function best by also using a video-instruction source, such as MathTV, to teach more difficult concepts.