Teaching Textbooks is based on three easy steps: watch the lesson, do the problems, and watch a tutor explain the ones you missed. It offers a lighthearted approach to math for grades 2–12 that appeals to homeschooling families. Teaching Textbooks is designed specifically for independent learners, and the program is offered in both online and book/DVD/CD versions.
COST: Varies. Online version requires a monthly subscription but is less expensive than the book/DVD/CD version.
- Flexibility with mode of instruction — parents choose either online instruction or physical books, depending on their child’s needs.
- Easy for students to understand, and topics are taught more slowly than in other curriculum.
- Parent involvement is minimal. There is no need to plan lessons or teach the material.
- May be a good option for students who struggle with math.
- Not as rigorous as other math curricula, and some parents have complained that it doesn’t prepare students well for college-entrance exams.
- More expensive than other math curricula.
- Some parents may prefer to be more involved in math instruction.
- Some parents have reported that the curriculum doesn’t provide enough review problems.
Why it’s helpful for families living internationally
Having the flexibility to choose either online instruction or paper books is helpful to international families. This is also a great program if parents seek student-led instruction.